SCK•CEN is actively involved in the design and construction of the multi-functional research facility. MYRRHA is the world’s first prototype of a nuclear reactor driven by a particle accelerator (ADS = Accelerator Driven System).
It is being constructed in three phases. Recently, we started working on the first phase – the construction of a particle accelerator up to 100 MeV and its proton irradiation stations. From 2026, the facility will produce innovative radioisotopes and promote fundamental and applied research in areas such as fusion materials.
As a construction engineer/engineer-architect, you will form part of the Balance of Plant (BOP) team. That team is responsible for drawing up the conceptual design of the conventional systems (such as buildings, process, HVAC, electricity, fire safety, security, etc.) and will supervise the work of an external consultancy during the more detailed elaboration of the design.
As a construction engineer / engineer-architect, you will:
- familiarise yourself with the current design (such as front-end building, utilities building, accelerator tunnel, beam dump, etc.) and the history of the design
- develop a more in-depth knowledge of the approach and requirements in the area of nuclear safety
- collect and compile the functional and technical requirements for each building or section of a building, in collaboration with the accelerator and proton target team
- ensure that the design of the buildings is compatible with other systems and aspects of the design, such as safety
- support the integration team
- draw up a detailed project definition
- assist in the elaboration of the entire Balance of Plant
- draw up the safety report for the “buildings” section
- draw up the conceptual design of the proton targets building for the “proton target installation” (such as sketches, building descriptions, structural proposals, etc.)
- draw up a set of specifications for the “proton target facility” so that an external consultancy can be appointed
- elaborate the nuclear zoning and the associated confinements for the accelerator
- elaborate the tender dossier in collaboration with an external consultancy, in order to appoint a contractor
- follow up the construction phase of the particle accelerator up to 100 MeV closely and supervise the work of the external consultancy
- support other project teams within SCK•CEN, whenever necessary.